June 15, 2012

wrench me away soon

The sun gently laid his warm robe on my shoulder as I looked to the light emanating from the flat screen rising tilted before me. Black words swam in white and blue waters and mesmerized me. I gave just a glance at the annoying reflection of the window that rested comfortably in the wall. Minutes passed, the words greedily hogging my eyes. Finally, the reflection wrenched my eyes back again: a perfect image of the window, the curtain, and the trees outside. I spun around, astonished by the clarity of the reflection. I rose and left the laptop to rest for a while and simply let my eyes wander about the picture in the window frame, my eyes focusing and refocusing between the graceful and eccentric curves of the wavy glass and the brilliant scene of golden sunlight on the trees. The laptop fan woke me back into the realization of what I had been reading. With a quick turn I re-seated myself, the reflection still consuming my retina. With a gentle hand, I closed the lid, slipped off my shoes and let my feet become reacquainted with the grass, my skin resuming its old friendship with sun, and my eyes making new friends among the leaves.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."
Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment