July 8, 2012

Quality battles Quantity

Thousands of words. If not more. The alphabetical representation of thoughts and musings poured bravely out to be seen by ten eyes, if even that many. So often we measure success in numbers. How many people like your facebook statuses? Retweet you? Follow you on tumblr? Read your blog?

What if we realized that numbers are not always the most clear measurement. I have watched the number of people who read my blog steadily...flatline. Never change. But God doesn't measure in numbers, but obedience. And I have learned that my words are used by God in the hearts of the few who do read it.

Rather than mildly amusing a hundred people, I am able to use my words, my gift from God, to really encourage and speak to at least two people. What an amazing thought, to think that anyone should be touched by my words! To think that God really does work in my selfish heart and inspire phrases and thoughts that express not only my own thoughts but the thoughts of others, thoughts that help other people along, maybe even people I am unaware of.

Some days are more difficult than others. I get discouraged, and stop trusting in His plan for this blog. But I try to remember that even the humblest word can be used for His glory, and whether it is before two or two thousand people, it is still for Him and He loves it. My blog's value is not in the number of people who comment, read or share it, but in the value Christ has given it, in His fingerprints left between the letters and the imprint on the hearts of those who read it.

And so my value is not in the number of people I reach, but in the obedience to Him and the value He gives me by loving me. I am valued not for my works, but for the simple fact that He created me, that He loves me. And so I cannot lose my value.

{The world screams: "We are what we do, we are what we have, we are what people think about us!" Christ whispers, "You are mine and I am yours."}
tweet by Mike Donehey

No comments:

Post a Comment