October 4, 2011

but...You love me anyway

"But You love me anyway
It’s like nothing in life that I’ve ever known.
Yes You love me anyway
Oh Lord, how You love me.

I am the thorns in Your crown
But You love me anyway
I am the sweat from Your brow
But You love me anyway
I am the nail in Your wrist
But You love me anyway
I am Judas’ kiss
But You love me anyway
See now, I am the man who yelled out from the crowd
For Your blood to be spilled on this earth shaking ground
Yes then, I turned away with a smile on my face
With this sin in my heart tried to bury Your grace
And then alone in the night,
I still called out for You
So ashamed of my life...

But You love me anyway."

You Love Me Anyway

Sidewalk Prophets
These Simple Truths


Something about this song is amazing. These words break my heart, convict me as I should be convicted. I am the thorns, I am the sweat, I am the nails, I am the kiss, I am the man. I am that man. How many times have I betrayed God, turned my back on Him, forgotten about Him, ignored Him, disrespected Him? Too many. My heart is sinful. I was born with this sin in my soul. And there is nothing I can do about it. I cannot make myself clean. But He can. He did. How freeing is that? I don't have the power to heal myself. All I have to do is trust Him. Trusting is easier said than done of course, but that is another story for another day. The "simple truth" is that despite all the sin we have in us, and all the bad things we do, He loves us. 

1 Corinthians 1:25 talks about how God's foolishness is wiser than our wisest wisdom. His weakness is stronger than our greatest strength. When I read this I thought to myself, "Wow. This is the guy who should be rejecting us. Of anyone who has the right, the power and the justice to condemn us, reject us, leave us, crush us, send us away in disgrace, God has the right. He, according to His own laws, should reject us. We are just as guilty as the man who called for Jesus to be killed instead of a murderer. I know I would love to say that I would not have rejected Christ, but I know myself better.

But He loves us anyway.

The people who hurt Him, the people who rejected Him, the people who made a fool of Him, who tormented Him, who used Him, who mocked Him, who robbed Him, who killed Him: He loved them. Anyway.

People torment me, use me, reject me, make a fool of me, mock me and hurt me. I want to reject them. But how can I have the pride to reject those the Holy God has chosen to die for, to love anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment