January 19, 2012

Kindred Spirits


{Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.}
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Kindred spirits arise in the most unexpected places sometimes. I remember sitting in my first dorm room, a fresh wave of homesickness running through my eyes. I despaired that kindred spirits would ever come. It is curious how I learn all the time that they come in unexpected packages.

I met a freshman this year who is a hilarious quirky girl. She doesn't always say the brightest things, but she is very intelligent, without a doubt. Honestly, I think that sometimes people don't see that. It makes me angry sometimes that they don't see how deep and truly thoughtful she is. We have had many a great, vulnerable and deep conversation. In person and over facebook.

She might not realize the full extent, but she means a great deal to me. I have told her that I appreciate her before, but she probably doesn't see the depth of my gratitude. Sometimes it is easy for me to feel left out, but she never makes me feel that way. She always asks how I am doing and cares about the response. She makes me feel appreciated, and loved. God has used her so much in my life.

Her eyes shine with the light of hidden understanding. Her smile speaks a thousand words of sincere encouragement. Her hands hold worries and sorrows but still have room to share mine and to reach out to me. Her ears are always open and ready to hear about my difficulties, but she will always reciprocate with her own-something I am glad of. We share life. We may be an odd pair, but I am so blessed to have found her. She is, of course not the only kindred spirit I have found, but she is one of the unexpected and most precious.

This may not be the most beautifully worded post, the most intriguing or insightful read, but I mean every word with all my heart. I cannot express it fully how much my kindred spirits mean to me. Don't be afraid to look for them where you least expect to find them. They'll surprise you in the best sort of way!


No comments:

Post a Comment